Tuesday, October 14, 2008

YES on 8!

I've been mulling around what I wanted to post about this subject for a long time now...and some of you may have noticed I published a post yesterday but then quickly removed it. I just wanted to get my thoughts straight before I posted it for good.

Josh and I support Proposition 8. Many of you know this proposition will restore the traditional definition of marriage between a man and a woman in California. This is a very sensitive subject and I admit I was a little hesitant about it at first. I thought, what will it hurt to let same-sex couples get married? The more I have studied and thought about it, however, the more determined I have become to protect the traditional definition of marriage and here's why.

To me, marriage is more than a civil ceremony and title. It was established at the beginning of creation so that men and women could have CHILDREN and FAMILIES. Children cannot come into the world without both a father and mother and should be reared by both. I realize this is my personal belief and one that is definitely religious. But I wonder, isn't the idea of marriage itself a religious event? But, despite my personal beliefs, I cannot judge a person for their lifestyle (thank goodness I am not the judge!). Same-sex couples have every civil right as married couples in California and I say let them choose to live as they will. So, if they have the same rights when they are domestic partners, then this issue is not about rights. Some say this proposition is "all about love." Love everyone, let everyone do what they want. I disagree. What if a father "loved" his daughter in a romantic way? Would we allow them to marry? NO! Of course we wouldn't, the idea is appalling. My point is, there has to be some kind of limitations on marriage and obviously we're at the point where the law has to be specific about it. This is a MORAL issue, not a CIVIL one.

But these things are minor compared to my #1 worry. My number one worry is that if I teach my kids what I believe is right and wrong, it will be labeled as "hate speech." So, what choice will they have in their beliefs? They will have to believe, or at least say they do, that it's ok for same-sex couples to marry--it's the law after all and they would be considered intolerant if they said otherwise. Two days ago my brother was called a Bigot for holding a YES on 8 sign. Why does him expressing his belief make him a bigot? He never said he hated homosexuals or that he didn't respect their views, nor did he imply that he wants them to have any less rights. Besides, is she (the woman who called him a bigot) not a Bigot herself because she is not willing to accept his beliefs? Why does tolerance only go one way here? I don't understand that at all.

Some who oppose this proposition have told me to mind my own business when it comes to this issue. I submit that by voting YES I am doing exactly that. Minding my business and that of my family for generations to come. I want them to know that I gave everything I could even when it was hard to support this issue. It is that important to me.

Aren't we lucky to live in a country where we can make our voices heard? Remember to vote on November 4th!

4 comments:

todorojo said...

I'm glad you posted this despite your hesitations. This is a difficult and complicated issue and one that we should be open to talking about. I definitely agree that just because someone opposes gay marriage, that doesn't make them a bigot. It's funny how people can take the idea of tolerance so far that they become intolerant of people who think differently than they do. I have the unique position, for obvious reasons, of being able to understand where both sides are coming from. I do believe that there is something unique and holy about marriage between a man and a woman. But at the same time I am not naive enough to think that gays are not capable of loving each other just as much heterosexual couples are. If I must disagree with you, I would say that there is definitely a difference between the relationship between gay partners and a romantic relationship between a father and daughter, with the latter being much more morally reprehensible because of the incestuous nature of the relationship and the risk of serious birth defects of any children born. Just some of my thoughts. Thanks again for sharing.

Candie said...

Thank YOU for responding. I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking about you. It makes me sick worrying sometimes because I don't want to offend anyone, ESPECIALLY my friends. I do know that love between 2 people can be very strong, regardless of gender. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I only meant that as an example of morality.

Joe Trogdon said...

Nice post Candie. I agree with you that marriage is not a civil issue. It's an institution that's been around as long as man, so who is the State of California (160 years old) to define what this ancient and divine institution means? It's sad that the opposition is using lies and deception to convince people that it will not change their lives. It can and will change our lives. Already children are being taught about homosexual marriage in our public schools, as shown in this article: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=78829

This will only continue and get worse. If people don't stand up we will soon lose the rights as parents to have a say as to what our children learn at school.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bobby- Thank goodness we live in America where up until election years we can have our own feelings on issues. I have recently thoughr alot about this issue. God found it important to define marraige from the beginning of time in the Bible and still finds it important today as was stated in the proclamation to the world given by the LDS church leaders. I disagree that we need to be tolerant to those who practice immoral behavior. Living with someone without the bond of marraige as defined by God ( Man and Woman or others) Is a serious issue. We seem to live in a world that accepts worngful behavior and feel bad that we stand up for what is right. We are made to look like freaks and called religous bigots. Well if doing and standing for what is right makes me one count me as one.
I agree it is not my place to judge others, but I also know right fom wrong and want to make sure I have the freedom to counsel my family in the way we believe. Keeping morality a priority in our homes is a sacred duty irrespective of how society defines or lables us.-Pappy